Friday, May 28, 2010

President Steps Up In Louisiana PLUS a Truman Moment

Today, President Obama visited Louisiana and got an earful from local officials. The President also dropped the “in situ” (whaat? Sounds like something on a Suchi restaurant menu) Admiral Allen jargon in favor of the people’s plain talking “on site.” He gets it:
“As I said yesterday, and as I repeated in the meeting that we just left, I ultimately take responsibility for solving this crisis. I’m the President and the buck stops with me. So I give the people of this community and the entire Gulf my word that we’re going to hold ourselves accountable to do whatever it takes for as long as it takes to stop this catastrophe, to defend our natural resources, to repair the damage, and to keep this region on its feet. Justice will be done for those whose lives have been upended by this disaster, for the families of those whose lives have been lost -- that is a solemn pledge that I am making.”
Thank you, Mr. President. Forgive us if we keep holding your feet to the fire. Yay for Zeitgeist! (You read it here first, with the correct historical Truman references to boot.):)

No comments: