Monday, April 13, 2009

Get off my lawn!

The evening was devoted to the Bill of Rights, but Justice Thomas did not embrace the document, and he proposed a couple of alternatives.

‘Today there is much focus on our rights," Justice Thomas said. "Indeed, I think there is a proliferation of rights."

“I am often surprised by the virtual nobility that seems to be accorded those with grievances,” he said. “Shouldn’t there at least be equal time for our Bill of Obligations and our Bill of Responsibilities?”


Now, I agree that many Americans have no idea that there is a concept such as shared responsibility or the social compact, but I do believe that this man has been given the solemn responsibility of helping to protect the rights of the weakest and least powerful among us, and is supposed to do so utilizing the Constitution as his guiding document. I've read the Constitution a number of times, and I would assume that Justice Thomas has a copy somewhere, and I've missed the sections on Obligations and Responsibilities.

In case you're curious about the kind of world he imagines:

“Or how can you not reminisce about a childhood where you began each day with the Pledge of Allegiance as little kids lined up in the schoolyard and then marched in two by two with a flag and a crucifix in each classroom?”

No comments: