Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Blogger and the Pea

There is so much to comment on from last night, so much fuzzy math and so many disconnects from reality. However it is the first and the smallest, the pea under oh so many mattresses, that is really bothering me. Perhaps I'm suffering from outrage overload on Iraq, or perchance I'm dumbstruck that this man with the popularity of open sores would dare broach funding religious schools or screwing up social security at this late date.

But no. Read the official transcript: "Some in this chamber are new to the House and Senate—and I congratulate the Democratic majority." But he didn't say that. He used the
Newt Gingrich-Frank Luntz "talking point" adjective, the DEMOCRAT majority. You see, they really aren't "democratic" and it rhymes with RAT--get it?

OK, back to business now, but that damned pea certainly does bother me.

(Note: See Joshua Holland over at Alternet for a thorough breakdown. Note in particular how Tony Snow described picking out the highlights of the speech as choosing among "a drawer full of diamonds." YACK.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't bring myself to watch, considering how these things usually just F**K with my blood pressure.

I'm guessing Chimpy's main concern right now is to actually do something people will support, so they'll stop boycotting his presidential library.

His library should be a no-go just on account of his horrible use of our language. Of course, if they call it "The Library of Incomplete Sentences, Stuttering and Made-Up Words," I might be able to get behind it.

Anonymous said...

Regarding his use of the word "Democrat" instead of "Democratic" to identify our party, I see that the transcript of the speech at www.thinkprogress.com has it right:

"Some in this Chamber are new to the House and Senate — and I congratulate the Democratic majority. ..."

So if he did say "Democrat majority," [*] it was a departure from the text. We might think of it as his own creative addition to the speech.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/01/23/2007-sotu/
------------------
* And I don't know if he did say that, because I didn't watch the speech last night. Almost anything in my schedule would count as a more productive use of my time.

Peter said...

Oh, he said it, and yes, it was his little "riff" off script. I startled my wife with my epithet-filled reaction to it.

Anonymous said...

When I think of "drawers full" in this context, it conjures a rather different image than diamonds.

Anonymous said...

That would be the fastest re-write of history yet for this administration!