Monday, October 09, 2006

This one really bothers me

I was offered a lieutenant's commission in the Navy JAG Corps coming out of law school, an offer I reluctantly turned down. Seeing the following really angers and saddens me. Sounds like the guy is a heck of a lawyer, the kind you would like to keep.

No promotion for Navy lawyer who took on Bush (
link)

MIAMI -- The Navy lawyer who led a successful Supreme Court challenge of the Bush administration's military tribunals for detainees at Guantanamo Bay has been passed over for promotion and will have to leave the military, the Miami Herald reported Sunday. Lt. Cmdr. Charles Swift, 44, will retire under the military's ''up or out'' promotion system.

Swift said last week he was notified he would not be promoted to commander. He said the notification came about two weeks after the Supreme Court sided with him and against the White House in the case involving Salim Ahmed Hamdan, a Yemeni who was Osama bin Laden's driver. ''All I ever wanted was to make a difference--and in that sense I think my career and personal satisfaction has been beyond my dreams,'' Swift said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Swift was a former classmate of mine -- here's my tribute to him.
http://tinyurl.com/evx3f

Peter said...

Thanks, John.

Come by any time