Monday, October 02, 2006

drmagoo on the electoral prowl

As of today, we're at 36 days left until Election Day 2006 (call or write your representatives and let them know that Election Day should be a national holiday, and that there should be multiple verification techniques for ballots, if they care at all about honest election results). Yours truly is attempting to participate in the process, in my own small ways:

1) My university is hosting the Illinois Gubernatorial debate tonight. The moderately corrupt Democrat will be debating the Republican who was politically in bed with George Ryan, perhaps the most offensive politician to hold court in Illinois in a very long time. J-Barr also had the "honor" of overseeing the truly entertaining debacle that was the Republican campaign for the Senate in 2004.

2) For the first time in my life, I went looking for yard signs for local Democratic candidates. Of course, the county campaign office is open about 6 hours a week, and only 2 after 5 pm, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

3) On 11/7, I'll be taking the day off work to serve as an election judge. The rep from the county clerk's office said that they're getting a lot of Democrats this year. I told her that "we just want to make sure everything goes correctly."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my area all I see are Republican signs. They've been out in force. At one busy intersection there is a loooong row of all the usual Repub suspects. I'm sooo tempted to add a sign at the end the says, "Liars, Crooks and Perverts".

Very disappointing that the Demos didn't get out earlier and grab some of the prime spots. As it is there are very few options near me for Dem signs that won't block a Repub sign. And god forbid that happens. Another room at Gitmo awaits that poor sucker.

schmidlap said...

Good on ya, doc.

I'm working on a plan to do something similar on the 11 the 7th. Since my district is safe in all respects (Rahm) and the other races are lose/lose (gov and county board pres), I may travel out of state to do some poll watching. I'll keep the class updated.