Monday, August 21, 2006

Oh Suzanna...

Suzanne--you're my hero.

I'm guessing that this would be Suzanne Malveaux of CNN, but I can't really tell (Me likey anyway!)





But in any case, The Emperor Has No Clothes is rambling on and not saying anything, and calls on my new hero. He says

THE PRESIDENT: Suzanne.

Q Sir, that's not really the question. The strategy --

THE PRESIDENT: Sounded like the question to me.

There it is in a nutshell. He can't answer the question asked, so he tries to answer something they didn't ask, with his talking points. Nice job, Suzanne--but unfortunately, it was all for naught.

EMPEROR WITH NO CLOTHES: If I didn't think it would work, I would change -- our commanders would recommend changing the strategy. They believe it will work. It takes time to defeat these people.

Well, at least they aren't "folks." Should we mention, though, that "these people" are Iraqis opposing a Shi'a government installed and propped up by US??

The Maliki government has been in power for less than six months. And, yes, the people spoke.

Yes, they spoke and they told us to get the hell out of there.

I've cited that as a part of -- the reason I cite it is because it's what the Iraqi people want.

What "Iraqi" people? The Sunnis who hate Shia and Kurds? The Shia who hate Sunni and Kurds? The Kurds who hate Shia and Sunni and have set up an independent state?

And the fundamental question facing this government is whether or not we will stand with reformers across the region.

Reformers, huh? Reformers seeking to reform WHAT?

It's really the task. And we're going to stand with this government.

What "government" is that? The one that controls NO territory? That has NO claim to legitimacy? That has NONE of the elements of statehood?

1 comment:

Peter said...

Thanks, LV--as I said, it was difficult to tell from the transcript back when it happened.