Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Letters to IL Senators about Lieberman

Dear Senator Durbin (and Obama):

Mine will only be one of a chorus of voices that will likely inundate your office within the coming days.

Within the last several months, I have increased my activism through contributions to Democratic candidates at both the Senate and House levels. I have contributed to incumbents as well as upstart challengers looking to advance the Democratic agenda and take our country back from those who have mismanaged, embarrassed and otherwise ruined our reputation at home and abroad.

As I watched events unfold tonight in Connecticut, particularly with Senator Lieberman abandoning the party in the wake of his loss to Ned Lamont, I must ask that you and your fellow Democratic Senate colleagues congratulate and support the Democratic nominee put forth by the voters of Connecticut, Ned Lamont.

We are all sad to lose colleagues with whom we work. I recently lost an election for a position on a board for an Association in my industry. I congratulated the winning candidate and wished him the best while still finding other ways to stay involved. Senator Lieberman should NOT put forth his candidacy as an Independent. The current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue thought that what HE had was a "mandate to spend political capital" and that hasn't exactly worked out so well, either.

I work for a family owned business that my father started nearly thirty years ago. When employees would give us two weeks notice that they were departing, more often than not my father would just go to the warehouse, get a box and tell people to pack up their belongings and go. His philosophy is to this day that if someone has decided that they don't want to be part of our team anymore, they have broken a trust and really hold further place within our organization.

The same applies for Senator Lieberman. His outright lies during his speech this evening, his snark about what happened with his website today (which proves to be of his OWN doing) and the continued denigration of the party, its members and apparatus, should serve as a message to all Democrats that he's only in it for himself.

Joe Lieberman is now persona non grata as far as I am concerned within the party. He should not benefit from party fundraising efforts nor from campaign assistance from other Democrats. I hope that you feel the same in this matter as I do.

Sincerely,

No comments: