Saturday, July 01, 2006

Swearing

Now that the Supreme Court has slapped down the president's secret trial parties, I would guess that the administration would do the honorable thing and TRY TO AMEND THE CONSTITUTION! Just wait.

The Supremes kicked around the administration's "unitary executive" theory, and sternly reminded the president that despite his beloved "commander-in-chief" role, that constitution thingy (Article I, Section 8) vests in Congress the power to "make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces." That whole separation of powers thing is SO annoying.

And now, a tip of the thinker cap to team member JB for this heads up. Let's play the "Can you spot the differences" between the two pictures of kids with bikes and ice cream cones, like in the Sunday paper magazine.

Here are the two pictures:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of [XXXXXXXX], and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

SO, one picture charges the party with oreserving, protecting and defending THE CONSTITUTION, while the other must defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Which one is which?

No comments: