Monday, February 27, 2006

Douse the Olympic flame--permanently

The Olympics are gone--finally.

Good riddance.

I heard that the closing ceremonies were going to have a circus theme. Perfect--the bobsled crews and the lugers can join the dog-faced boy and the bearded lady and other denizens of the freak show and get back on the train out of town.

I have been wondering why exactly I have had such animus this time around for this over-indulgent spectacle. First of all--who cares about these "sports?" Please don't expect me to awaken from 3 years and 50 weeks of blissfully not knowing that a "skeleton" is anything more than a collection of bones with two weeks of "U-S-A--U-S-A"' frenzy.

That's another problem, the phony jingoism. I certainly don't care about some obscure winter sport just because the "Americans" are competing. It was fun in 1980 when our scrappy Olympians were competing against the international bad guys. Unfortunately--WE'RE the international bad guy now.

And NBC or whoever has to understand the realities of the Internet age. If this is "sport," you just can't be compelling on tape delay. It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid knowing the outcome, and what is sport without the aspect of winning and losing? If it is not sport, but rather pageantry and drama--I've got better things to do.

Goodbye, Olympics. If you come back, try not to disturb me--OK?

No comments: