Sunday, December 18, 2005

A response from one lawyer

C'mon, Doc, you are too suspicious. After all, the New York Times reported that "administration officials are confident that existing safeguards are sufficient to protect the privacy and civil liberties of Americans." There, doesn't that make you feel better?

I am no expert on criminal constitutional law, but I cannot find a way to fit this into the boundaries of legal surveillance. The 1978 act establishing the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court clearly envisioned this tribunal acting swiftly to facilitate appropriate intelligence work, and the court has been OVERWHELMINGLY receptive to government requests.

According to the NYT report, "Mr. Bush's executive order allowing some warrantless eavesdropping on those inside the United States - including American citizens, permanent legal residents, tourists and other foreigners - is based on classified legal opinions that assert that the president has broad powers to order such searches, derived in part from the September 2001 Congressional resolution authorizing him to wage war on Al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, according to the officials familiar with the N.S.A. operation."

So, once again. the dreaded "9/11" trumps all.

This is frightening, maddening and disgusting.

1 comment:

schmidlap said...

The thing that I found most jarring about the whole thing is that he also said he's going to keep on doing it.

Translation: Fuck you, America. Fuck you, Congress. Fuck you, Constitution. My power is so complete at this point that I will not only admit publicly that I've broken the law, I'm going to keep doing it, and you don't have the interest or capability to stop me. Neener neener neener, America is a weener.

Maybe the darkest day yet in a five-year series of long, dark days. Every time I think the little fucker has hit bottom, he shows me he can still dig deeper.