Monday, December 19, 2005

More administration idiocy

My topic..the "World Baseball Classic."

First of all, I think it is a stupid idea. Multi-millionaire players are not playing "for their country," and teams paying those millions should be concerned about season and career-threatening injuries.

But that doesn't merit a post here. Administration idiocy does. They won't let the Cubans in.

Cuba.

What is the point? I know, to suck up to well-heeled and politically active Floridians in a corrupt political environment, but please--Cuba? A tiny, impoverished nation?

What do we hope to prove?

We do business with far worse than Castro (hell, WE are far worse than Castro!) The fall of the Soviet Union (OK, for you dittoheads, Reagan bankrupting us with obsolete weapons for his defense contractor buddies had NOTHING to do with it, resume being fascinated by small shiny objects) demonstrated how access and trade can break down totalitarian walls, not a false isolation.

Cuba.

Wow, I'm frightened, but I feel safer knowing they can't play baseball here.

1 comment:

drmagoo said...

The Cuba thing drives me batty, partly because it goes against the whole spirit of the thing, partly because the 46 year embargo clearly hasn't worked, and partly because I keep thinking I see stories about the Cubs.

I look forward to the World baseball championships, because I think that anything that involves more baseball and something to do between the Super Bowl and March Madness has value.