Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Election night, one year later

Ah, the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. What were you doing last year?

I had a party! Some close friends, a great dinner, too much wine, and the anticipation that America would actually wake up from its torpid self-imposed nightmare. The night began with so much promise, and by the end, I remember just looking around in disbelief at what had happened. I have never experienced such a blunt, painful, empty feeling as I did when the realization sunk in, that no matter how many shenanigans took place, tens of millions of Americans thought this man was fit to lead us again.

America and I are kind of dating again. You know, we go out for coffee, we talk on the phone, we know a lot of the same people, so America and I always seem to end up at the same parties. We've been hanging out, but you know, she hurt me, she hurt me terribly. I'm still feeling my way through this and I'm not sure if this thing is serious, if we can patch things up after what she did to me. I'll decide for sure this time next year.

No comments: